Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Keyword Evaluation: Search Trends

As promised, we’re going to discuss search trends today.  If you’ve read my post,  Let’s Do Some Keyword Research, I mentioned there that one of the factors in finding our “perfect keyword” is that it must have an upward trend or is consistently searched for.  That is what search trends is all about.  We want a keyword that people will still be searching for, months and years from now.

The tool that I used in getting the search trend is Google Insight.  It is a very simple tool with a graph that shows the trend of my keyword.  Here is an example.


As you can see, the keyword that I chose is my target market, photography.  The graph shows that it has a steady trend which is a good sign for me.  

Here is another example. This time, I chose the keyword “Friendster”.


As you can see, the graph shows that the trend for this keyword is on the decline and we don’t want a keyword that is on the decline trend.

I also made another test and this time, the keyword is “Halloween costumes”.


As you can see, the graph shows that the trend for this keyword inclines on the month of October.  This is what we call a seasonal keyword.  It is okay to use this kind of keyword but we have to make sure that the keyword is not on its peak nor is in the declined state.

To summarize things, what we want is a keyword that is on a stable trend or on an upward trend.  If we want to use a seasonal keyword, we have to make sure that the keyword is on its low point and make sure that the keyword is not on its peak.

Now that we’ve discussed search trends, the next topic I'm going to discuss will be about commercial intent, so make sure to watch out for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment